Westerly Public Schools is a great place to work that offers a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees. Please visit the HR: Benefits page for more info. Job descriptions and salary ranges can also be found on the HR: Compensation page.
Rhode Island Department of Education Minimum Requirements
- must successfully complete the NFHS Sudden Cardiac course prior to employment
- must successfully complete a First Aid course prior to employment
- must successfully complete a Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) course prior to employment
- meet all additional requirements of the Rhode Island Interscholastic League
- must hold a certificate of qualification issued by or under the authority of the Council on Elementary and Secondary Education
Paraprofessionals (Teacher Assistants) and Substitute Paraprofessionals
- be of good character
- have a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma
- completion of a Teacher Assistant Pre-Employment Training Program approved by the RI Department of Education (RIDE). 3 exceptions to this particular qualification:
- those hired before January 1, 1999
- those with certification as a TA in another state
- those with an associates degree or bachelors degree AND who have completed coursework or other training consistent with the teacher assistant program standards.
- meet one (1) of the following requirements:
- successfully pass the ParaPro Assessment OR
- complete at least 2 years of study at an institution of higher education OR
- obtain an associates or higher degree.
Substitute School Nurse Teachers
- must hold a license as a Registered Nurse
- must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university
- must hold an associates degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university
- OR a minimum of 2 year completion of a 4 year program
Employee Background Checks
Pursuant to Rhode Island General Law § 16-2-18.1, Westerly Public Schools requires that all employees undergo a state (BCI) and national (fingerprint) background check. Both background checks can be obtained from the Westerly Police Department located at 60 Airport Road, Monday 9am - 1pm, Tuesday 4pm - 8pm, and Thursday 9am - 1pm. No appointment is necessary and there is a $36 fee associated for this service. Check or money orders only.
In addition to the background checks, upon hire employees will be required to complete new hire forms.
It is the policy of Westerly Public Schools not to discriminate in its educational programs, activities, or employment policies on the basis of age, disability, genetic information, national origin, pregnancy, race/color, religion, sex, or any other status protected by local, state, or federal law.